Orion Virtual “Cloud” Servers
New pricing and spec for 2014: now even better value, with more RAM and disk space.
Orion Starter server
£7.50 per month or
£85 per year or
£0.50 per day
- 0.4 GB of dedicated RAM
- 10 GB of RAID-backed disk space
- 5 GB offsite backup space
- 75 GB of traffic per month
- Unlimited routed IPv6 addresses
- 1 IPv4 address
£14 per month or
£150 per year or
£0.90 per day
- 1.4 GB of dedicated RAM
- 60 GB of RAID-backed disk space
- 20 GB offsite backup space
- 150 GB of traffic per month
- Unlimited routed IPv6 addresses
- 1+ IPv4 addresses
Orion server extension
+£7 per month or
+£75 per year or
£0.45 per day
- +0.7 GB of dedicated RAM,
- +30 GB of disk space and
- +10 GB backup space
Multiple extensions can be added to a single server, but the extension is not available on its own.
- +0.7 GB RAM: +£4 per month
- +30 GB disk: +£4 per month
- +10 GB backup: +£4 per month
- Need extra RAM and disk space? An extension will give the best value.
- +100 GB traffic: +£8 per month
- Managed server: +£10 per month
Also available: dedicated cloud servers, with all the advantages of a virtual server plus the guarantee of dedicated hardware.
- Servers on demand: Create new servers as and when you need them via the control panel or API; pay per day if you just need your server for a short time (currently in beta; contact for access).
- Ubuntu Server Edition: As standard, your virtual machine will come preinstalled with Ubuntu Server Edition, specially adapted for virtualised use by Retrosnub. (Other distributions and operating systems are available: enquire for details.)
- Advanced technology: Retrosnub's physical servers are divided up into multiple virtual servers using the Xen hypervisor. Xen was originally devised at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, and is widely acknowledged as the fastest and most secure virtualization software in the industry, making use of paravirtualisation for significantly better performance than traditional virtualisation techniques.
- Protection against hardware failure: Retrosnub's virtualisation cluster—"Orion"—allows virtual servers to move from one physical server to another seamlessly in the unlikely event that one of our physical servers fails or if we need to perform maintenance.
- Dedicated memory: The memory allocated to your virtual server is yours and yours only.
- Easy management: A choice of management interfaces (one web-based, one SSH-based) is provided to facilitate rebooting, monitoring and configuring your server, including access to the server's console in case of network configuration issues.
- Excellent connectivity: All virtual servers come with IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity burstable up to 1 Gbit/s. They are physically hosted in Stevenage, UK and have connectivity provided by multiple major carriers.
- No overcrowding: Retrosnub monitors the performance of our cluster in order to ensure that no physical server is overloaded, and will never cram in more virtual machines than the hardware can cope with.
- Offsite services: Off-site backup storage hosted in another city is provided as standard. Retrosnub can also provide multiple virtual servers in geographically-diverse facilities; enquire for details.
- Free extras: Virtual server customers can take advantage of free secondary DNS and MX hosting.
As standard, virtual servers are provided with a minimal Ubuntu Linux installation — just basic tools and an OpenSSH server — so that you get complete control over what is installed. This means that it is up to you to install and configure the server software you require; this requires a certain level of experience with Linux servers. Furthermore, importantly, it is up to you to keep your server secure and up-to-date with the latest security updates.
Retrosnub has extensive Linux administration and development experience and are always on-hand to offer free advice or to take on part or all of the management of your server for you. For just £10 per month extra, an experienced system administrator can take this responsibility off your hands and handle the routine management of your server for you: your server software will be kept up-to-date, and comprehensive system monitoring and status graphing will be provided to alert you of potential issues such as running out of disk space before they become a problem.
Additional setup and configuration work—for example, the configuration of a web server with PHP and MySQL—can be performed for reasonable rates; please enquire.